Thursday, January 1, 2009

For Auld Lang Syne

OK, a couple of questions come to mind whenever I sing this song.
What am I saying exactly? and . . . What language is it?

On New Year's Eve, we have probably all sung, "Auld Lang Syne." Isn't it funny how it's possible to be so familiar with a song and have no idea what it means? And wouldn't it be funny if it meant something like, "Eat More Brussel Sprouts"?

And what language is it?
It turns out that "Auld Lang Syne" is an very old Scottish song. Back in the 1700s Robert Burns is the person whose transcription of the song got the most attention, so the song is associated with him.
A good translation of the words "auld lang syne" is "times gone by." So we are basically saying, "We'll drink a cup of kindness yet for times gone by."

I like that! I like the song even more now. Happy New Year everyone.
Let's drink a cup of kindness yet for auld lang syne.

3 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

I, too, love this song. What would the New Year celebration be without it? I think I learned about it in a music appreciation class some time age. Thank you and have a good day!!! Cathy

Lerin said...

Thanks for sharing your grocery budget info! Even with the changes in food prices in recent years, I am still just shocked that you had such a low budget then. We could probably do a LOT better than we are doing! :)

Soutenus said...

Lerin,
Back then we ate LOTS of pasta and rice and beans!!! I mean crazy LOTS!
Frozen peas and apples were a splurge.
I wouldn't recommend that diet to anyone.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin