Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Preparing for the Mass - January 3, 2010


The Feast of the Epiphany

Preparations for January 3, 2010  (Cycle C)

First Reading: Isaiah 60:1-6
" . . . . They shall bring gold and frankincense, and shall proclaim the praise of the LORD."

Responsorial Psalm: Psalm 72:1-2, 7-8, 10-13
". . . . May all kings fall down before him, all nations serve him! . . . "


Second Reading: Ephesians 3:2-3, 5-6
". . . . that is, how the Gentiles are fellow heirs, members of the same body, and partakers of the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel .  . . . " 


The story of the Magi! The significance of this story is almost entirely symbolical. (Reginald H. Fuller)

Sadler has a nice review of the readings along with suggested activities for children.

Now for us big kids - Reflections for this Sunday can be found at The Center for Liturgy Sunday.


When God is worshiped in the Child, the honor of the virgin birth is revered. When gifts are brought to the God-man, the dignity of the divine motherhood is exalted. When Mary is found with her child, Christ’s true manhood is proclaimed, together with the inviolate chastity of the Mother of God.

All this is contained in the evangelist’s statement: And entering the house they found the child with Mary his mother, and bowing down they worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.


The gifts brought by the wise men reveal hidden mysteries concerning Christ.

To offer gold is to proclaim his kingship
To offer incense is to adore his godhead
To offer myrrh is to acknowledge his mortality

Let us pray that we can be more like Gaspar, Melchior, and Balthazar and seek Jesus beyond our human definition of comfort & security. And may we joyfully let God have the reins of our life's direction. 

<~~  Gentile da Fabriano (c. 1370-1427)
Graphic header: “The Adoration of the Magi” by Andrea Mantegna 

3 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

The pictures in this post are simply beautiful. I especially like the explanation of the gifts. And to your prayer I say, "Amen!" Wishing you a very Happy New Year! Cathy

Soutenus said...

Aren't they, Cathy! I love the art I found. I tried to source it when I knew the artist. :-)

I have been trying to leave a comment at your blog but my computer won't load your comment page???

I really like your collage. How did you do that?

Abbey's Road said...

I agree that the artwork is befitting a King! I especially love the meanings of the gifts, which I had never seen before. I love your prayer and repeat it for myself. Amen and Have a Blessed New Year!

Abbey

Blog Widget by LinkWithin