Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Our Tuesday

This is what we did today.

Went to 9:00 Mass

Drove to the wholesale district of Houston and bought some wonderful things for the shop. Did some truly master negotiating and came out under budget. This included
  • maneuvering through a couple of language barriers (Spanish & Chinese)
  • trying to work with a cashier who could NOT understand the difference between $3.50 and $35.00
  • calling the owner of one shop to negotiate a better wholesale price
  • invoking the name of a heavy hitter retailer to whom my business partner happens to be related (thank you, Eddie!)
Now we will see if they sell . . . . :-)

Then we set out on our quest to find the elusive address (waaaaaay across town -- thankful for the lower gas prices today) where our "bargain" water heater awaited us. This means we will now have hot water at our new place YAY!!!!!!!

SPLURGED --- Dinner at Outback!! (daughter felt stronger and good and joined us! Praise God!)

Daughter and I split the tilapia with crab. Hubby and youngest split steak. Daughter's beau had chopped steak. Other choices around the table included fresh veggies (found out they get that wonderful Outback flavor because they are SOAKED in butter :-( all I can say is, doggone it!!!) Soup and salad.
One (to remained nameless) child made a grand dinner of the bread, everyone's donated croutons and more bread. He was an ecstatically happy camper because we let him do this!

Made brownies and then our family curled up in the livingroom and watched Bye Bye Birdie. Giggles from youngest son -- thought it was completely silly. "Mom, is that Birdie guy Elvis?"
I had not watched this movie for years and years and years. My comments from my now grayer haired perspective? Glad you asked!
Cute . . . . but the epitome of rotten parenting! And, Janet Leigh was gorgeous! I never noticed before. I guess I was too busy identifying with Ann Margaret.
Funny lines I'd never noticed before:
"Mrs. Nelson, what does your husband do?
I don't know. He's dead."

"The Russians! First they take Czechoslovakia and now they take MY four minutes!"

Next in our Tuesday? Prayers and then all tucked into bed.

I love this time off from school and work!!!

3 comments:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Sounds as if you had a MOST eventful and satisfying day! Thanks be to God!!! Holy New Year to you and yours!! Cathy

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Certainly you may "quote" my post...Cathy

Abbey's Road said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this blog! God is sending me all kinds of new friends who are a part of my faith community! I, too, am Catholic. I am posting your blog in my favs!

God bless!
Abbey

p.s. Love the sidebar quote! That really drove it home for me.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin