Saturday, July 5, 2008

Holy Obedience


My husband and I were talking about my experiences growing up in the Methodist church.

My Mom was Methodist (by way of Church of Christ) and my Dad was Catholic (but he died when I was 11). My Mom & I became Catholic when I was in my 20s. That, in itself, is an amazing story - well, at least to me. The long distance phone conversation between us that changed the course of my Mom's life in her decision to become Catholic happened on my Dad's birthday. That was when she decided to come home. On my Dad's birthday.

The drawing above is of my childhood Methodist Church.
The photograph to the right is my Catholic Church back home (up north).


Anyway, my husband and I were having this great conversation just a few minutes ago and I realized that I have learned so much more about my faith in the past 2 years. The "learning" hasn't made me any more faithful or, as Protestants say, "convicted of my faith." That, by God's grace, was firmly established. BUT! I sometimes feel like a am doing this remarkable free fall into Catholicism. (I like that feeling, by the way, so this is a good thing in my book). The depth of wisdom and love in our Church is infinite. Obedience makes sense (It NEVER did before).

The Gospel Reading this Sunday speaks to this: from Matthew 11: 28-30
28“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest.
29*Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

Footnote: * [29] In place of the yoke of the law, complicated by scribal interpretation, Jesus invites the burdened to take the yoke of obedience to his word, under which they will find rest; cf Jeremiah 6:16.

A wonderful quote from a previous post, And if That City's on a Hill comes to mind:
"The scary thing about the modernist trait in Protestantism is that it plays so well into the hands of pride. There is little to orient Protestants towards the notion of making oneself small or last of all when it comes to doctrinal certitude. One is one's own final arbiter of every judgment, and it is in those difficult matters of dispute that this is all the more crucial.

Even scarier is this: suggesting the notion of holy obedience to Protestants, be it to the parish priest and to the bishop, is likely to receive a most intense objection. And this objection comes, not from the Bible, but really, from the Enlightenment. What a terrible and ill-suited master, who screams that the Catholic is therefore brain-washed or superstitious!" Jeff Tan @ One Bread One Body
Thank you, God, for your Church.

You are Peter, and upon this rock I shall build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against. it.
Matthew 16:18

photo source: picasaweb

4 comments:

~Joseph the Worker said...

Thanks for this. Very interesting. My conversion to Catholicism from the Church of Christ took place in approximately one literal day. Since then I have learned more and developed a deeper appreciation about my Faith, but I was 100% totally committed from that one day onward.

Shelly said...

thank you for sharing this! great and interesting!

Alexandra said...

I love today's reading! Taking on a yoke seems at first glance a burden, but following Jesus makes the load(of life) lighter.

I love to see the Protestant faith and Catholic faith contrasted. There is a lot I still do not understand concerning the differences(nuances) in thought.

Maybe you could explain the problem Protestants have with "good works". I still don't completely understand this.

I wholeheartedly agree with the depth of wisdom and love - hundreds of years of hammering out the meaning of Jesus message by the world's greatest minds means something.

Soutenus said...

Joseph, I have enjoyed reading about your conversion. I am learning a lot following your journey.
keep blogging -- I am sure it touches lots of hearts.

Shelly, thanks for stopping by. It is good to get comments so one knows what others find interesting!

Alexandra,
Thanks for the comment. I plan to do a post in the not too distant future about just your question (faith and good works -- Protestant and Catholic views)
I am, by no means an expert, but I would like to share my experiences in discussing this area and ask others to do the same.

Blessings to all!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin