Sunday, June 22, 2008

St. Thomas More

Today we are going to watch, "A Man for All Seasons" in honor of St. Thomas More (1478-1535).
Here is some background thanks to Saint of the Day. "Thomas More's belief that no lay ruler has jurisdiction over the Church of Christ cost him his life. Beheaded on Tower Hill, London, July 6, 1535, he steadfastly refused to approve Henry VIII’s divorce and remarriage and establishment of the Church of England.

Described as “a man for all seasons,” More was a literary scholar, eminent lawyer, gentleman, father of four children and chancellor of England. An intensely spiritual man, he would not support the king’s divorce from Catherine of Aragon in order to marry Anne Boleyn. Nor would he acknowledge Henry as supreme head of the Church in England, breaking with Rome and denying the pope as head.

More was committed to the Tower of London to await trial for treason: not swearing to the Act of Succession and the Oath of Supremacy. Upon conviction, More declared he had all the councils of Christendom and not just the council of one realm to support him in the decision of his conscience."

5 comments:

~Joseph the Worker said...

I've heard such wonderful things about the movie. My wife and I tried to get it today and found out that the local blockbuster didn't carry it...... :(

Soutenus said...

So sorry to hear that!
The movie is quite well done! We have the VCR version. I wish I could burn it onto a DVD but copyright protection prevents me from doing so. I know the video has a very limited life at this point.

I definitely hope the movie will last a bit longer so my kids will watch it many times (we do not get cable so we watch our movies over and over)

Maybe the library has a copy?

~Joseph the Worker said...

What an excellent idea! And, it just so happens that our University library does have it on DVD!

Soutenus said...

Yay! Aren't libraries great?
After you watch it let us know what you thought of the movie! Maybe fodder for a post?

~Joseph the Worker said...

Oh my....I just posted on it. I'm overwhelmed.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin