Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Cup of Suffering & The Path to Life

Jesus said to Peter, "Put your sword into its scabbard. Shall I not drink the cup that the Father gave me?" John 18:11

Peter tried to ward off the sufferings that Jesus had to face, and Jesus scolds him for it.
For Jesus, this "cup" is the entire passage through suffering, through death, to the fullness of human life with God. It is all one piece. And Jesus accepts it as all one piece -- giving his entire life to God.

When we drink from the cup at Eucharist, this same meaning is there for us. We join with the Lord as he gives himself entirely to God. Today, tomorrow. . .whatever difficulties and sufferings we might face . . our death. . all this is one piece, part of our own passage into the fullness of human life.

Picture yourself holding the cup at Eucharist and saying,

"O God, by drinking this cup I join with your Son. With Him I place myself entirely in Your hands. Whatever lies before me -- the joys and sorrows, and one day my death -- I accept. In your hands it is all one piece: The path to life."


source: The Little Black Book (Six minute meditations according to John)

5 comments:

Maria (also Bia) said...

I've been using the little black book, too, as part of my Lenten prayers. I really like it. God bless.

Carol said...

Very wonderful! Thank you for sharing! I sometimes get too distracted to do the full prayers from my Little Black Book. I am so happy to see this is shared by others here in Blogdom! Blessings, Carol

Lisa said...

I keep seeing quotes from the little black book! They are awesome! I have to get this!

Soutenus said...

Bia, Carol and Lisa - I am so glad I found it. There is a Little Purple Book for kids. My 8 year old son is using it during Lent. I think it is geared for ~5 to ~9 year olds. You can easily enhance or help with each day's simple activities and "readings". He likes it and so do I!

Bless you all -- I can't tell you how much this online community of Catholic friends means to me.

Carol, I think I first learned of the Little Black Book on your blog! Thank you!!

Maria (also Bia) said...

It's me again...there is also a little white book for the Easter Season!

God bless!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin