Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Why Do People Celebrate Christmas?

A couple of days ago my son and I bought a DVD on sale. I admit it was a "gotta get rid of it, kinda sale." I said OK to the $2 price tag because it boasted a reading of, Twas the Night Before Christmas by Louis Armstrong. "Now, that alone is worth the 2 dollars," I thought.
I love Louis Armstrong's voice. I mean, who doesn't?

I read on the cover of the DVD that it was a collection of Christmas songs and stories accompanied by simple but charming illustrations. "Ahhhh," I thought, "How relaxing and quaint. I handed over my 2$."

<~~~ An illustration from 1883 edition of The Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore. It is part of the The Granger Collection, New York

What surprised me when we watched the DVD was the interjection of children interviews. Kids were answering the question, "What does Christmas mean?"
The answers made me so very, very sad. My son and I looked at each other in utter bewilderment as not even one child mentioned the birth of Christ.

How very appropriate that I should find this quote by our Holy Father. Read the whole article here.

“If we do not recognize that God was made man, what sense does it make to celebrate Christmas?”

Pope Benedict XVI


No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin