9. Hannah (1 Samuel 1:1-2:11)
When God answered Hannah’s prayer for a child, she received that child as a gift and turned to God in joy-filled praise. Each child is a gift from God, to be treasured and nurtured so as to grow in God’s love.
Hannah's child was Samuel. You remember Samuel!
The Canticle of Hannah: (1 Samuel 2:1-10)
- 1 2 and as she worshiped the LORD, she said: "My heart exults in the LORD, my horn is exalted in my God. I have swallowed up my enemies; I rejoice in my victory.
- There is no Holy One like the LORD; there in no Rock like our God.
- 3 "Speak boastfully no longer, nor let arrogance issue from your mouths. For an all-knowing God is the LORD, a God who judges deeds.
- The bows of the mighty are broken, while the tottering gird on strength.
- The well-fed hire themselves out for bread, while the hungry batten on spoil. The barren wife bears seven sons, while the mother of many languishes.
- "The LORD puts to death and gives life; he casts down to the nether world; he raises up again.
- The LORD makes poor and makes rich, he humbles, he also exalts.
- He raises the needy from the dust; from the ash heap he lifts up the poor, To seat them with nobles and make a glorious throne their heritage. He gives to the vower his vow, and blesses the sleep of the just. "For the pillars of the earth are the LORD'S, and he has set the world upon them.
- He will guard the footsteps of his faithful ones, but the wicked shall perish in the darkness. For not by strength does man prevail;
- the LORD'S foes shall be shattered. The Most High in heaven thunders; The LORD judges the ends of the earth, Now may he give strength to his king, and exalt the horn of his anointed!"
Ask a Franciscan @ American Catholic
Bible Stories (Protestant)