Saturday, August 7, 2010

Mother Mary's Voice

  

Mother Mary's voice is a perfect blend of flute and violin. 

 

I tell her that I have run out of wine. She points to her son and says, 

 

"Listen to him."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My friend wrote this as a Facebook status update today.

 

It so moved me! I asked him, "Where, oh, where, did you find this?" He replied:

 

I'm reluctant to answer because it sounds crazy. Yesterday, I went to the school's church to pray before the tabernacle, but I decided to walk the Stations of the Cross first. I reflected on Mary's role in the pictures, how she provided Jesus with courage and strength during that terrible event. I thought about how I, as a disciple, am called to also pick up my cross and imitate Christ. So, that means that Mother Mary is there for me, too!

When I made it to the Tabernacle, I knelt and said the Hail Holy Queen, the Memorare, and the Hail Mary. Then I remembered the story from John's Gospel and thought of how dry I've been lately spiritually. I told her I am out of wine.

Instantly I heard her voice in my head tell me what she told the servants in that story- "Listen to him, do whatever he tells you."

It wasn't a voice heard with the ears, but the mind, like in a memory of a long-gone loved one. I heard it in my head clear as day. 

I jumped to my feet and left and drove home reflecting on how I could describe it in words.

Listening is often the missing component in my prayer and worship. I've heard great preachers say that, but I still forget. My mind is a busy, loud place. Mary reminded me that when I come to her son, that special time should involve listening to him teach. His words have the power to heal.

 

HAIL HOLY QUEEN

Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy,
our Life, our Sweetness, and our Hope.
To Thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve.
To Thee do we send up our sighs mourning
and weeping in this valley of tears.
Turn then, most gracious Advocate,
Thine Eyes of Mercy toward us,
and after this our exile show us the
Blessed Fruit of thy Womb, Jesus.
O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.
Pray for us O Holy Mother of God
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
.

 

  

 

THE MEMORARE

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that anyone who fled to thy protection, implored thy help, or sought thine intercession was left unaided.

Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins, my mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful. O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me. 

Amen.

 



No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin