Sunday, February 21, 2010

Jeff Cavins in the House!

Jeff Cavins spoke at my parish on Friday and Saturday. I was a volunteer on the planning committee and it was such a joy to be part of this event. My son even helped. In anyway that they would let him help (he is only 10) he would help!   He told me on Saturday morning, "Mom, I want to go with you early in the morning. I want to help. I can do lots of things. I am a good greeter and I can lift boxes and move tables . . . "  With that kind of zeal, how could I refuse?
And pitch in and help -- he did!

It was an amazing seminar! Friday we heard Jeff's testimonial and conversion story. His journey back home to The Catholic Church was heart wrenching, honest and  . . . . all in all . . . . wonderful. God is soooo good!

Saturday was the seminar on the book of Revelation. (The book of Revelation in a Day!) From 9:00 to 4:00 he guided us through John's book. It was AMAZING the amount of information that was absorbed. My husband became so engrossed and hungry for more understanding that he purchased the full, 10 course, DVD.
That is VERY unlike my husband but I am so beyond ecstatic about the fire that The Holy Spirit put in his soul. That longing for more understanding about the Word of God is always a great thing. We are so grateful to have the guidance of The Magisterium to accompany us on our journey.  The DVD is just perfect because we can pause rewind and re-listen/re-watch as necessary!

If you are not familiar with Jeff Cavins read on!  :-)  And click here for his upcoming schedule.
Jeff Cavins is recognized nationally and internationally as a dynamic Bible teacher who can take complex theological concepts and make them practical for everyone.  After twelve years as a Protestant pastor, Jeff returned to the Catholic Church under the guidance of Bishop Paul Dudley.

Over the past several years, Jeff has dedicated his life to developing The Great Adventure Bible Studies, an extremely useful, practical and color coded interactive Bible study system. 
This system enables students to understand the chronological flow of Scripture, following salvation history.  To date, more than 2,200 Great Adventure studies have been conducted helping hundreds of thousands of Catholics and other Christians learn Sacred Scripture in a practical way.

Jeff is founding host of EWTN's Life on the Rock and his conversion story is found in the best-selling book, My Life on the Rock:  A Rebel Returns to the Catholic Faith.  He is also the author of I'm Not Being Fed! Discovering the Food that Satisfies the Soul and he is co-editor of the Amazing Grace series of books, which feature stories concerning faith, hope, healing, inspiration and humor that strengthens the spirit and nourishes the soul.

Jeff received an MA in Theology from Franciscan University of Steubenville.  He is currently the Director of the Archbishop Harry J. Flynn Catechetical Institute based in St. Paul, Minnesota.  Jeff resides with his wife, Emily, and their three daughters in Minnesota.

3 comments:

Abbey's Road said...

How very wonderful for you both! I am presently experiencing difficulty in that I have moved further toward my faith than my husband and he is flippant about it, which hurts my heart. I have prayed for his conversion for a very long time, and I told him I will continue that prayer. God has a purpose, and I am patiently awaiting that knowledge.

The Book of Revelations is something that I would love to have some guideance over. Send me any suggestions ...

Blessings and love,
Abbey

Soutenus said...

Abbey,
My heart aches for you. Faith journeys are not always easy and often include GREAT trials.

I am reviewing the whole Revelation series via the DVD course. I fear I do not have enough integrated knowledge to try to teach others yet. BUT! I will share as I gain confidence in my understanding!!

One thing Jeff Cavins starts with is that the book of Revelation is a form of Apocalyptic Literature (preparing - as a bride prepares for her bridegroom).

It is NOT a narrative (one event following another). The figures in the book are familiar to the audience for whom it was written. (the 7 Churches of Asia Minor to whom John was writing.

Pope Benedict says, (paraphrased) "John's objective is to unveil, from the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, the meaning of human history."

It is am invitation to intimacy with God.

It is so closely woven into our Mass -- that I understand.
"The Lamb's Supper," by Scott Hahn is a great book to explain some of this!

Soutenus said...

correction:
"It is AN invitation to intimacy with God"
:-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin