Sunday, January 24, 2010

Live Long and Prosper


I have to share something with you from my Facebook page.
I recently updated my status with:

"Mom . . . . " said my youngest making the 'live long and prosper' sign with his hand (we recently watched Star Trek). 

He looked at his hand and said, "I thought this meant peace." 

I explained it was "Live long and Prosper" not the peace sign. (Which, turned on its side,  has become more readily associated with throwing a gang sign.) *sigh*

"I thought this meant peace. . . . . . Well, I guess to Spock it does!"

To which, my FB friend  Henry Karlson,  commented:
In his autobiography, I Am Not Spock, Nimoy wrote that he based it on the Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands, thumb to thumb in this same position, representing the Hebrew letter Shin (ש), which has three upward strokes similar to the position of the thumb and fingers in the salute.
The letter Shin here stands for Shaddai meaning "Almighty (God)". Nimoy wrote that when he was a child, his grandfather took him to an Orthodox synagogue. There he saw the blessing performed and was very impressed by it.

And I said:
Henry, Wow! This is cool info! You never cease to amaze me. 
btw - Your book is top on my list to purchase!

Here is a link to Henry's book. I am sure it is amazing and can't wait to read it!

1 comment:

A Bit of the Blarney said...

There are so many good books out there and soooooo little time!!! Must add this to my list! Thanx!! OH!!! A grant post! :) Cathy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin