Friday, April 17, 2009

Why Susan Boyle Matters So Much

It’s not just because of her remarkable vocal talent.
See YouTube (embedding has been disabled at youtube - here is the link)

I found a Deacon Greg post and really liked it. It addresses our materialistic culture.
It’s a good reprimanding we all could stand to hear, in this society. Here is a part (edited) of what he says:
From all that we have learned, Susan has lived an obscure but important life. She has been a companionable and caring daughter. It’s people like her who are the unseen glue in society; the ones who day in and day out put themselves last. They make this country civilised and they deserve acknowledgment and respect.
Susan has been given respect because of her talent. She should always have received it because of the caliber of her character.

HT to  The Anchoress

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, my word!! She's awesome! And, truly, what a lesson for the vain and ego driven world is this simple, wonderful, talented woman. I'm glad you shared this!

Abbey's Road said...

Amen! I saw this and she has a beautiful voice, and in the interview, she is a delightful lady. Absolutely wonderful to see her life open like the blossoming of a flower.

Anonymous said...

You know, the only reason we were all snickering at her at the beginning is because she physically is not attractive. It is almost a "who does she think she is to even try this event?" The minute she opened her mouth we had to be ashamed of ourselves.

Abbey's Road said...

Dear Friend, I have left a special award for you on my blog, so please visit me soon!

Blessing for a wonderful week,
Abbey

Tracy said...

She is so great!!

Maria (also Bia) said...

I finally watched the video from your link, and it brought me to tears.

Reminded me of Paul Potts a couple of years ago . . . and I went out and purchased his cd.

A lesson for us all.

Soutenus said...

You guys have seen my picture. I actually relate quite well to Susan Boyle (wish I could sing like her, too!!)

Thanks for sharing your great comments. My computer access has been limited so I apologize for the late response.

I think Susan looks like many people - most people. I don't think she is unattractive. She just doesn't have that "popular tv look." And that tv, model, singer, popular icon "look" is so contrived!

I have started judging again and I am working with lots of performers. I think it is impossible for them (men & women) to obsess even one bit more about their . . . weight, make-up, clothes, hair, teeth, style, voices, you name it.

Watching them through the years, as they get older, is sometimes painful because they cling to that vanity. The way they look is SO important to them.

I am not even worried about offending them because they would never come to this blog. It is just totally out of their realm of interest (or tolerance). In other words, they think I am crazy for not caring so much for the things they esteem. For example, I travel with no blow dryer, curling iron, heavy make-up bag, designer clothes, etc. To many that I am working with again -- that is appalling.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin