Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Beacon Word

Bia's post about resolutions in a single word got me thinking. I am not a yearly resolution maker. Why?
Well. . . .
  • it is too disappointing when I break the resolution
  • it is too static when, 3 months later, I realize it no longer applies or has been overshadowed by another, more timely resolve.
  • it is too much like what I do everyday. I, too, am a list maker. Those lists carry resolutions within them ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
  • it is too contrived for me. . . WHY the emphasis on New Year's Day?
On the other hand, I do like to set goals because those you can refine, progress toward and keep alive in every step forward.

Bia closed her post with this quote that I love.

Blessed Mother Teresa of Calcutta once said,
“Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”

With that in my mind I find I CAN choose a word for the year - yet I hasten to say it is not a resolution but more of a beacon word. With God's grace and guidance I would like to embody it and embrace it. Here it is -




RESILIENCE (re·sil·ience) an ability to recover from or adjust easily to misfortune or change


1 comment:

Maria (also Bia) said...

i like how you labeled it a beacon word...very appropriate.

and i know you and your family have been through a lot this year, and you are resilient.

blessings.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin