Monday, September 1, 2008

Say What You Will . . .

Ya know . . . . say what you will about how Mass needs to have better music, Gregorian chant, Latin Rite. I am NOT discounting those things. There IS a need for that.

Maybe I'm not smart enough or holy enough or "something" enough. But when Steve, our Psalt Band leader, lead this song at Mass yesterday (electric guitar, drums, the whole bit) I knew, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that it was a prayer God gave to us.
It has been ringing in my heart. It has kept me focused on God (not me) for 2 days now. I woke up this morning with it in my mind. I could hear it.

Every blessing You pour out I'll turn back to praise.
When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say,
Blessed be the name of the Lord,
Blessed be Your name!

Blessed be the name of the Lord, Blessed be Your holiest name!

You give and take away, you give and take away
my heart will choose to say
Blessed be Your name!

10 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That song is a beautiful prayer.

Your post got me thinking about a related issue...had to post on it over at my place.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that song!

Soutenus said...

Barb - I enjoyed reading your post!
Thanks for stopping by.

RCM - LOL! Me too, obviously.

I stopped in (like MANY others) to read your opinion on the Republican Vice Presidential choice. Keep on blogging - you are a wealth of information.

ps) do you have the email for your Katy friends? I lost it and NEED NEED NEED to send a TU.
You can email me privately :-)

Lerin said...

That song means so much to me. Just as "It Is Well With My Soul" does. Praising God in all circumstances, turning both blessings and pain into praise. :)

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Saw this on Barb's blog and wanted to let you know how much I, too, love this prayer. It is 100% scriptural and the music with it is uplifting. Catholic author, Regina Doman, played it at the end of her talk on suffering. Everyone was moved to tears between her story and that song.

There is no one way to worship.

God Bless,
Jane

Soutenus said...

Lerin, "turning both blessings and pain into praise" -- yep! An I need to remember to offer up the pain, ya know?

"I am now rejoicing in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am completing what is lacking in Christ's afflictions for the sake of his body that is the church" (1 Col 24)

"For he has graciously granted you the privilege not only of believing in Christ, but of suffering for him as well." (Phil 1:29)

Those are a couple of passages that put such a different Light on things for me!

Soutenus said...

PatJrsMom,
Thanks for stopping by. For some reason it feels so great to know that others see that song as a prayer and that it means a lot to others, too.

I have not heard of Regina Doman but I would like to look up some info on her now that I have read your comment.
Thank you.

nicole said...

I love that song too. It is my daughter's favorite song as well. It does speak to me every time I hear it.

Alexandra said...

"When the darkness closes in, Lord, still I will say,
Blessed be the name of the Lord..."

Amen, and may your cup runneth over despite difficulties. :)

Renae said...

We sing this song in church a lot. And I am moved every single time.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin