Thursday, May 29, 2008

Choices and Time

Three things happened today that lead me to these thoughts and this post.

1st )
My friend, Policraticus, and I were talking today about how every moment holds within it a choice. Each choice leads us in a direction pleasing or not pleasing to God. Every moment and choice affords us the opportunity to find grace or to turn our backs on it. The conversation evolved into the intangibility of grace (among other things). Much to my disappointment our conversation was cut short (as usual - when one is in the teacher's workroom in between classes).

2nd) As I walked to class I had a vivid flashback to my Ren days. Someone who made a big impact on my life told me, "Death is my counselor."

3rd) As I was perusing my favorite blogs I found a wonderful quote from Preparation for Death by St. Alphonsus de Liquori.
"There is nothing more precious than time; but there is nothing less esteemed and more despised by men of the world. This is what St. Bernard deplores when he says: 'Nothing is more precious than time, but nothing is regarded more cheaply.' The same saint adds: 'The days of salvation pass away, and no one reflects that day which has passed away from him can never return.'

You will see a gambler spends nights and days in play. If you ask him what he is doing, his answer is I am passing the time.' You will see others standing several hours in the street, looking at those who pass by, and speaking on obscene or useless subjects. If you ask them what they are doing, they will say: 'We are passing the time.' Poor blind sinners!-who lose so many days; but days which can never return.

O time despised during life! You will be ardently desired by worldlings at the hour of death. They will then wish for another year, another month, another day; but they will not obtain it; they will then be told that time shall be no longer theirs. How much would they then pay for another week, or another day to settle the accounts of their conscience? To obtain a single hour, they would, says St Laurence Justinian, give all their wealth and worldly possessions. But this hour shall not be given."
From Preparation for Death by St. Alphonsus de Liquori
H/T: Salve Regina

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yep, "Death is my counselor."
You struggled with that for awhile at Sam, huh?
Looks like it helped you back to the Church. Praise God!
We have all followed such different paths, haven't we?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin