Friday, May 2, 2008

Holy Mary, Mother of God, Pray For Us


A re-post because I LOVE this information so much!

What follows this paragraph is but part of a wonderful post by one of my favorite bloggers, Sister Mary Martha. You can read the whole post here; and I enthusiastically recommend that you do. This is the part that I just HAD to make part of my Catholic Notebook because, after all, this notebook is for taking notes, recording things of importance to me and scrapbooking words of wisdom. From Sister Mary Martha:

"Since Protestantism sprang from the mind of Martin Luther (and King Henry the VIII), I decided to find out why Martin Luther dumped Mary and the saints. I knew that in general, Luther's whole idea was to get the corrupt clergy out of the picture, clearing a path between you and Jesus. I imagined Mary and the Saints just got plowed under along with the sellers of indulgences when this antiseptic road to Jesus was paved. If you don't need a priest, you certainly don't need Good King Wenceslaus. Imagine my surprise to find this type of thing:


"One should honor Mary as she herself wished and as she expressed it in the Magnificat. She praised God for his deeds. How then can we praise her? The true honor of Mary is the honor of God, the praise of God’s grace . . . Mary is nothing for the sake of herself, but for the sake of Christ . . . Mary does not wish that we come to her, but through her to God. " Explanation of the Magnificat, 1521

"Mary is the Mother of Jesus and the Mother of us all.
If Christ be ours . . . all that he has must beours,
and His Mother also must be ours."
Martin Luther, 1529

We're not in 100% agreement. Mary IS something for the sake of herself...she is the Immaculate Conception. But she is something for the sake of herself because of Christ. Mary does wish that we come through her to God. Given what Luther actually has to say about Mary, it seems to me that all that stands between a Protestant and Mary is the misunderstanding that anyone is praying to her. For the 40 zillionth time, we are asking her to pray for us, the same way I may ask you to pray for me. She is the Mother of us all. Don't you ask your Mother to pray for you? I do. A mother's prayers are very special.

Aren't they?"

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Yes, indeed! How much the world could be helped if everyone prayed for her intercession! Every time she appears on earth it's to ask us to pray the rosary for her intercession... I wish there were't that misunderstanding of the Protestants ~ because with her at their side, they'd all be Catholics!

Samantha from Colonial Curve Cottage said...

Thank you so much for clearing that up! I have that discussion often.
Samantha @ www.homeskooldaize.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post..

Samantha from Colonial Curve Cottage said...

Thanks for your comments at Homeskool Daize. I've checked out the video and things are okay, so I would just go to the source at www.lovetobecatholic.com and try it there. I've never taped a talk before, that's a good idea, so I'll see about that for my next one. My daughter is a much better dancer than I am as evident in the fall, but I am doing much better and Praise God, no other injuries.

Mary Rose said...

Thank you for this. It is helping me on my journey.

Hey, I'm also a scrapbooker! A digi scrapper, to be more precise. Saturday, May 3 is National Scrapbooking Day. Hope you can squeeze in some scrapping time this weekend. :-)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin