Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Chasing After the Wind

cross posted at Vox-Nova

My friend (also part of our Pope Benedict Reading Group) emailed this to me recently. I found her thoughts to be beautiful She resonates love. Here is her email (posted with her permission). The links and bolding are my emphasis and the graphic is my twisted humor:

This summer reading has really been a growth experience for me. I am finding myself doing even more analyzing than I usually do. I was sitting in my car earlier today coming back home from an errand and found myself getting all teary-eyed thinking about people like Mark and Louise Zwick down at Casa Juan Diego. Their lives are all about ministry... they don't have to say a word. They have put all their trust in God to provide for them through others...


They aren't looking for fame, and certainly not for fortune. Maybe they have a 401K stashed somewhere but I somehow doubt it! They aren't resting on their laurels from all the work they did as younger adults. They are simply trying to treat everyone one else as family, as neighbor, as Christ.


Why do we make it so hard on ourselves? We build up such complicated lives that we spend the whole day just maintaining our house, our car, our bodies and our relationships.

"Vanity of vanities, all things are vanity! What profit has man from all the labor which he toils at under the sun? One generation passes and another comes, but the world forever stays...Nothing is new under the sun. "

Even the thing of which we say "see, this is new" has already existed in the ages that preceded us.....

What a challenge; to transform ourselves so that we may then transform the world. It all starts with me and my priorities. I have 24 hours today. What will I do with it so that I am not chasing after the wind??
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special note from Soutenus: God's timing is so amazing. He speaks to us in so many ways. I think part of the trick is to take the time to listen; to be open to God and to notice Him all around us. The Sunday after she sent this the gospel reading was from Ecclesiastes:
Reading 1 Ecc 1:2; 2:21-23

Vanity of vanities, says Qoheleth,
vanity of vanities! All things are vanity!

Here is one who has labored with wisdom and knowledge and skill,
and yet to another who has not labored over it,
he must leave property.
This also is vanity and a great misfortune.
For what profit comes to man from all the toil and anxiety of heart
with which he has labored under the sun?
All his days sorrow and grief are his occupation;
even at night his mind is not at rest.
This also is vanity.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin