Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Beauty

I found this quote at Henry's (Karlson's) blog. It is a beautiful poetic beginning to my post.

"With the arrogance of youth, I determined to do no less than to transform the
world with Beauty. If I have succeeded in some small way, if only in one small
corner of the world, amongst the men and women I love, then I shall count myself
blessed, and blessed, and blessed, and the work goes on." -- William Morris

Maybe it is because I am a dancer with a fine arts (undergraduate) background.
Maybe it is because my husband is a professional musician and our eldest a Music/English major. One of my dearest friends in the world is an artist and art teacher . . . . you see the pattern, I am sure.

Well, it only makes sense to me that some of the most persuasive proof of God’s existence is the one that apologists and textbooks do not usually talk about. . . .

I believe these quotes may best open the door to what I am trying to express.

<--- graphic on left "There exists the icon of the Holy Trinity by St. Andrei Rublev; therefore, God exists".- St. Pavel Florensky from his final theological work, Iconostasis (1922)

Dostoevsky says , “God will save the world through beauty.”

"There is a beauty that both transcends our world and at the same time establishes and saves our world. Rightly understood, they are also related to Holy Scripture. " Fr. Stephen Freeman

. . . . . . more to follow in my next post . . . . . . .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I look forward to reading the rest. This topic has been on my mind for awhile now.

Anonymous said...

Hey i have a picture of that Icon!

Soutenus said...

This topic has really taken hold of me ... it is leading me down all sorts of avenues of thought.

Henry Karlson said...

I hope you looked through other posts on The Well. Quite a few of my posts reflect the message of Morris, and indeed, the spirit of The Well is in part the spirit of that quote. You would probably enjoy my discussion of Florensky (from a paper I wrote back in 2003, when I was finishing my Master's).

While I have not posted much there lately (postingly mostly on Vox Nova), I will be putting more posts there soon, and hopefully getting even more people to participate on The Well

Still -- I am glad to see you caught the quote; it's a good one and I look forward to see what more you write on beauty.

Did you see the quote from Tolkien at the bottom?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin