Friday, May 15, 2009

Offering It Up


Pope Benedict reflected on the practice of “offering it up” in Spe Salvi.

There used to be a form of devotion—perhaps less practiced today, but quite widespread not long ago—that included the idea of ‘offering up’ the minor daily hardships that continually strike at us like irritating ‘jabs’, When we offer these things (and other hardships) up we can give them a meaning, live every moment in praise and communication with our God and increase our humility.

When I was younger I did not understood what that meant: "Offer it up."
But now I think I understand, at least a bit more. And it gives purpose, reason, dignity to suffering we experience.
I still remember Scott Hanhn's comments about this. He lead us straight to the Bible.
In Colossians 1:24,  St. Paul tells the Colossians --
"Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ on behalf of his body, which is the church . . . "
Of course, there definitely have been some exaggerations and even unhealthy applications of this devotion in the past. It is stating the obvious that some people - maybe - just don't quite get it.   Self flagellation has long been a  "joke" about Roman Catholics by others.    I think the joke and the perpetuation of the stereotype is cruel and serves no positive purpose.  OK, OK, I have a confession to make . . . . . I admit, have laughed at Monty Python and the Holy Grail when the pseudo monks hit themselves in the head as they chant. It is just so silly & I think that's why it tickles me. But the stereotypes like those in The Da Vinci Code  really offend me!

What does it mean to offer something up?
It means to do what St. Paul did -- rejoice in our sufferings for other's sake, and know that in our flesh we are filling up what is lacking in the afflictions of Christ* on behalf of his body, which is the church.

Notice that there is nothing in that passage that encourages us to create suffering for ourselves. Even out Protestant brother, Marin Luther King, Jr. seems to have understood this.  He said, "Unerring suffering is redemptive."

We can offer our pain and even little annoyances into Christ’s great ‘com-passion’ (to 'suffer with')  so that they can became part of the treasury of compassion so greatly needed by the human race. In this way, even the small inconveniences of daily life could acquire meaning and contribute to the economy of good and of human love.


Footnote * 
This in NO way diminishes Christ's suffering for us. He died once and for all.
As Scott Hahn explains it (and, of course, I am paraphrasing) Christ's death and resurrection made it possible for us to participate in filling up what is lacking on behalf of his body, which is the church.

3 comments:

~Joseph the Worker said...

Very nice thoughts. I think if people understood more about the necessity and positive benefits of suffering then we wouldn't have such a hard time grasping this concept. Pope John Paul II's encyclical on suffering is a great tool to help us understand the benefits of it.

Soutenus said...

Thanks for the comment - always good to hear from you1

Tracy said...

Very fine post!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin